Tuesday, December 21, 2010

How To Love Your Spouse

It took me 22 years of marriage to figure this out (Or rather to have it revealed) but, the only way you will ever properly love (desire and enjoy and please and serve) your spouse is to have your heart so filled with the joy of Jesus’ love that it overflows with excess towards your partner.

I got to practice this for two and a half years and it revolutionized our relationship. It stopped me from demanding that my spouse meet all my needs to feel loved. I had that need fully met to overflowing in Christ. It stopped me from expecting too much from the relationship and the grumbling that could follow.

It proved a safeguard to over-loving (idolizing) which is a real danger when two people trust and enjoy each other for so long. Though I was guilty of both idolizing and grumbling right up to the end, at least I had figured out that these were to be avoided and I figured out how.

It is as I was satisfied first and foremost in Christ that I was able to lead our love into it’s best years where proper expectations and two hearts filled to overflowing with love were freed to love one another.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful lesson to have learned.
it applies to singles as well.......without Christ first in your heart you run the risk of idolizing at one end of the spectum or disappointment for unmet needs at the other.
I often pray and wish I were faster to learn that Christ must be the centre of my life and my focus for all other aspects of my life to fall into line with His plan - and therefore my wellbeing and peace.
HB