Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How Distressed I Am

Hebrews 12:3 Consider him who endured… so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Luke 12:50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is completed!

The aspect of Jesus’ suffering, that is perhaps most neglected in our consideration, is the natural, physical sense of alarm that human beings experience as they contemplate death.

Jesus’ ministry, his concern for others’ eternal well-being, would always have been accompanied by occasional, but ever increasing waves of self-preserving adrenalin, that come night and day and present themselves by means of a burning knot in the stomach or a dizzy spell, or chest pains or tingling in the arms.

All of body’s physical signals that are meant to warn us that something is very wrong, were present as Jesus served us. Jesus, ministry was undertaken while he was distressed.

When I consider that fact and realize that for all of us perfect ministry conditions will never exist, I feel stronger in my weakness and anxiety as I watch my wife struggle and suffer. We will never know undiluted joy and success as we serve God in this place, but then neither did Jesus.

No comments: