Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Fight at Night

3:30 a.m. seems to be when I am at my weakest in my fight for joy. It is then that I regularly wake to a jolt of adrenalin, fear mixing readily with grief to create a cocktail that robs me of sleep and strength as the new day begins.

Our enemy is death and his weapon is fear, but God is for me and I am armed with his word and I am beginning to learn to fight back. This morning I looked to…

1Jn 4:18 Perfect love drives out fear…

I boldly “challenged” God to display his perfect love by using it fill my heart and drive out the fear. I asked him to allow me to return to sleep until the alarm went off which is set for 5:30 a.m.

The next thing I knew the alarm was ringing. God hears and answers.
My reading this morning included…

Luke 12:32 "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.

Add to that…

Jude 1:21 Keep yourselves in God’s love…

And you have a biblical battle strategy for fighting for hope and joy that can mingle with grief and expel all fear.

It is up to us to get under the flow of his life-giving word. It is up to us to choose not to be afraid as we look to his provision and promise and allow his expression of love to fill our cups full to overflowing, expelling that which is displeasing to him and to us.

No comments: