Thursday, April 21, 2011

Truth Worth Searching For

Ps 25:14 The LORD confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them.

The Original NLT has it this way…
Friendship with the lord is reserved for those who fear him. With them he shares the secrets of his covenant.

Properly fearing the lord, which means trusting him and clinging to him just as much as we fear him... and pursuing friendship with him on that basis, points to an increased intimacy and knowledge, both experientially and cognitively.

If someone really matters to you, you will spend time with them and that time will deliver pleasure and benefit no matter how it is spent. Does God divulge secrets? Does he share some things with those closest to him while allowing others to merely scratch the surface? Do some, as Piper puts it, “Rake leaves while others mine gold”?

Though some mornings I feel dull and my mind wanders, there are other mornings where I feel I could burst. I write, I rejoice, I find what I am looking for: food for my soul that makes my heart glad.

This Sunday morning, I will get up at 5:30 as I always do, but before I enjoy devotions, I will hide Easter eggs for the kids. At 7 They will hunt for them and the hunt will be half the fun. They would be disappointed if I just handed them to them. Working for them, looking for them, makes them so much more valuable when found.

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

No comments: